Agility Emerging Markets Logistics Index 2017

Strategies for India

Survey question: Has the passing of reform, including the Goods & Services Tax, changed your plans to invest in India?

​The passing of the GST and the reforms agenda more widely have been characterised as a significant opportunity for India to overcome many of the barriers to entering the market that have previously stymied investment, particularly from overseas. That around one third of respondents (30.9%) said they were no more or less likely to invest, and that nearly one quarter (22.8%) do not see the development as a reason to factor the country into their plans, means a combined 53.7% of those surveyed have been unmoved by the reforms made to improve the attractiveness of the Indian market. An implication of this outcome is that India’s recent high levels of FDI may be unsustainable, at least as far as investment in logistics is concerned. Overall, FDI in India has been at record highs over 2014 and 2015, but fell approximately 21% in the first six months of 2016 against the previous year, according to OECD figures.

To read the Emerging Market 2017 full report, click here.​​

Sources: Transport Intelligence